Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Be sure to check your W-2 for errors

This is the time of the year when we get our W-2 forms. The deadline for employers to put W-2s in the mail is Jan. 31 so if you haven't received yours by that time, tanungin na ninyo ang inyong accounting department.

[If you're a new immigrant: The W-2 is the tax form distributed by employers which lists the income you earned, retirement plan contributions, and the income taxes that were withheld for the previous year. This is needed to file individual tax returns.]

Kahit di mo natanggap ang W-2 mo
, you're still required to file your tax return on time. Kung nahihirapan kang kunin ang W2 mo dahil may problema sa employer, you can file a complaint with the IRS by calling 800-829-1040 or go to Don't call until after Feb. 14.

The deadline to file individual tax returns is on April 15.

After reviewing your W-2 and wondering where all the money went (or feeling depressed about how little the amount was), check your W-2s for any errors.

This article lists some potential problems to look for when you receive your W-2:
Wrong name.
If you got married last year and changed your name, the name on your W-2 may not match the one on your Social Security card. Notify your employer of name mismatches right away. You may be able to get it corrected before your W-2 is sent to the Social Security Administration and your state.
Misplaced W-2s.
You're supposed to get a W-2 from every company you worked for in 2004, even if you stayed for only a day or two. Companies that have gone out of business are supposed to send employees a W-2 form by the end of the month following the quarter they stopped operations.

What if Your Employer Refuses to Give You Your Form W-2?
Kung ayaw kang bigyan ng W2 for whatever reason, your employer still doesn't want to give you one, call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

Pag tumawag ka sa
IRS, have this information ready:
1.) Your name and address, Social Security number, and contact information.

2.) The employer's name and complete address, including zip code, the employer’s identification number (if known), and telephone number.

3.) An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and the dates you began and ended employment.


No comments: