Tuesday, January 15, 2008

SCAM ALERT


The Internet Age brought us many great things but it also brought us spam, ID theft, and other hideous things perpetrated by hideous (and usually anonymous) people.

I'm starting a new segment on FilipinOnline today to help expose these scams, and to warn our kababayans against them.

For starters, I got this e-mail yesterday (see picture above) saying that I have a pending item for delivery for a free laptop.
Wow, a free laptop. I sure could use one. And I was lucky enough to be chosen by these wonderful people!

Too good to be true, right? Right. That's my first clue that this e-mail was bogus. So I hit Report Spam.

I've heard of sob stories of kababayans who fell prey to these kinds of things. They lost money, time and their sense of security because they trusted so easily.
If you wanna share your story so you could help others be informed, please e-mail them to me: ybchavez at gmail.com (no space in between, @ replaces 'at').

Here's a list of common Internet scams, from the FBI.



To file a complaint, go to this Internet Crime Complaint Center, ran by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center, and fill up a form.

No comments: