Wednesday, February 21, 2007

"I Changed My Name When I Became a US Citizen. What Should I Do Next?"

Change is good.

That's probably why there are a lot of Pinoys who sign up for the name-changing opportunity when it becomes an option when they become newly minted US citizens.
Unfortunately, this change doesn't come with a magic wand. There are several things that must be accomplished to get your new identity fully acknowledged in the U.S.

Here's how to change your driver's license name per DMV. Next time, we'll tackle the other necessary steps (informing your financial institutions, etc.) involved in name changing.

How to change your name on your driver license and/or identification (ID) card

To apply for a name change you will need to:
• Visit a DMV office (make an appointment for faster service)
• Complete application form DL 44 with your new information. (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)
• Give a thumb print
• Have your picture taken
• Pay the application fee (No fee for a senior citizen ID card)

Acceptable evidence of your new name may be provided by showing an original or certified copy of a Birth Date/Legal Presence document or a true full name document.
Please contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to change your name on SSA records, if you have not already done so. DMV electronically verifies your name, birth date and social security number with the SSA.

If your information does not verify, you will not receive your new California driver license or identification card. You will receive a Request for Verification of Information letter from DMV informing you that the information you provided (name, birth date, and/or SSN) does not match SSA's records.

Ma-i-isyuhan kayo ng interim license o resibo ng inyong ID card na maaaring gamitin sa loob ng 60 araw hanggang matanggap ninyo ang inyong bagong photo license o photo ID card sa koreo. Siguraduhing tama ang inyong address bago kayo umalis sa DMV at sabihin kaagad sa DMV representative kung mali ito. I-me-mail ang inyong bagong lisensya o ID card sa loob ng 60 araw. Kung di ninyo matanggap ang inyong lisensya o ID card matapos ang 60 araw, tumawag sa 1 (800) 777-0133 para i-check ang status nito. Siguraduhing nasa inyo ang resibo ng interim license o ID card kapag tumawag kayo.

Note: A name change on your driver license or identification card will not change your vehicle registration information.


No comments: